Helicopter flights depart from Canmore Alpine Heliport or Mount Shark Helipad (one hour drive from Canmore) on Mondays and Thursdays. Depending on your booking order, weather and logistics you may be flying from Canmore Alpine Heliport or Mount Shark Helipad. Guests will be informed of the helicopter staging area one week prior to trip departure. We recommend arriving in Canmore the night before your Talus departure. Do not book commercial flights on your departure day from Talus.
MONDAY AND THURSDAY EXCHANGE DAYS
|Canmore- Talus Flight||8:15 am Check in at the Canmore Alpine Heliport|
|Mount Shark- Talus Flights||
7:45 am Depart from Canmore for the Mount Shark Helipad with a full tank of gas
|Talus- Mount Shark Flights||9:30 am First helicopter flight departs for Mount Shark Helipad
9: 45 am First flight arrives at Mount Shark Helipad
|Talus- Canmore flight||
10:15 am- 10: 45 Helicopter flight departs for Canmore Alpine Heliport
ACCOMODATION IN CANMORE
Consider staying at the Paintbox Lodge, our sister property in downtown Canmore. Talus Lodge guests receive 10% off and we will waive the two night minimum.
CANMORE ALPINE HELIPORT
Located in the Town of Canmore at 91 Bow Valley Trail. 10 minute taxi ride from the Paintbox Lodge.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS. CANMORE TO MOUNT SHARK HELIPAD.
Allow approximately 1 hour from Canmore
- Follow signs to the Canmore Nordic Centre.
- Continue past the Canmore Nordic Center for 37 km km on the Spray Lakes Road/Smith-Dorrien (#742 South). This road is gravel.
- Turn right onto the Mt. Shark Road. Drive past the sign for Engadine Lodge and over the bridge.
- Continue down the winding road for 2.5 km. Turn left following the sign to Mt Shark Helipad
- Drive to the helipad, unload your gear and return your car to the parking lot. There is no parking allowed at the helipad.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS. CANMORE TO MOUNT SHARK HELIPAD. ROUTE 2.
Allow approximately 1.5-2 hours
- Leaving Canmore follow #1 TransCanada Highway East and exit on Highway #40 (Kananaskis Trail).
- Turn right and head south on Highway 40 passing Nakiska Ski Hill, Kananaskis Golf Course and Fortress Mountain Ski Hill.
- Turn right (west) at the Smith-Dorrien Spray Trail turnoff (#742). Turn right again and follow the Smith-Dorrien Spray Trail for 30 km.
- Turn left on Mt Shark Road and drive past the sign for Engadine Lodge and over the bridge.
- Continue down a winding road for 2.5 km and turn left following the sign to Mt. Shark Helipad and parking lot.
WHAT TO BRING
Maximum baggage weight per guest 15 KG.
Maximum baggage weight per guest 15 KG
One pair of skis or snowshoe per guest.
Excess baggage fee: $4.00 per KG
HOW TO PACK FOR THE HELICOPTER
- Carry your prescription medication on your person.
- Space is limited. Gear must be limited to essentials.
- Gear above the luggage restrictions will incur the excess baggage fee.
- More than one bag is allowed provided the bags meet the weight limits.
- Backpacks and small duffel bags are best. Please, no suitcases and backpacks with external frames.
- Anything attached to your bag may be removed in order to fit in the helicopter.
- Wear your bulky clothing and ski/hiking boots.
- We reserve the right to refuse oversize bags/items and extra skis due to space restrictions.
- Do not bring bear spray on the helicopter. Bear spray will be provided at the lodge.
- One pair of skis is allowed. Please do not bring ski bags.
- A second pair of skis may be flown in for $50 round-trip, if space is available.
- Dogs are not allowed in the helicopter.
- Be on time for check in. Move slowly and calmly around the helicopter.
- Your gear will be loaded and unloaded from the helicopter by Talus or Alpine Helicopter staff.
HELICOPTER DO’S AND DONT’S
No wheelies and hard sided suitcases. We love small duffels and day packs. Fly on the helicopter with your prescriptions on your person.
No dingle dongels hanging off your pack. Please give bear spray to Talus staff.
Cans and boxed wine will survive bumps. Glass might not make it in one piece and is heavy.