Helicopter flights depart from Canmore Alpine Heliport (located in the Town of Canmore) or Mount Shark Helipad (one hour drive from Canmore). Guests arriving on public transport are priority passengers for the Canmore flight. Depending on logistics and your booking order you may be flying from Canmore Alpine Heliport or Mount Shark Helipad. Guests will be informed of the helicopter staging area one week prior to trip departure.
MONDAY AND THURSDAY EXCHANGE DAYS
|Canmore- Talus Flight||8:15 am Check in at the Canmore Alpine Heliport|
|Mount Shark- Talus Flights||
7:45 am Depart from Canmore for the Mount Shark Helipad with a full tank of gas
|Talus- Mount Shark Flights||9:30 am First helicopter flight departs for Mount Shark Helipad
9: 45 am First flight arrives at Mount Shark Helipad
|Talus- Canmore flight||
10:15 am- 10: 45 Helicopter flight departs for Canmore Alpine Heliport
CANMORE ALPINE HELIPORT
Located in the Town of Canmore at 91 Bow Valley Trail. 10 minute taxi ride from the Paintbox Lodge.
MOUNT SHARK HELIPAD
Allow approximately 1 hour of driving time from Canmore
- Follow signs to the Canmore Nordic Centre.
- Continue past the Canmore Nordic Center for 37 km km on the Spray Lakes Road/Smith-Dorrien (#742 South). This road is gravel.
- Turn right onto the Mt. Shark Road. Drive past the sign for Engadine Lodge and over the bridge.
- Continue down the winding road for 2.5 km. Turn left following the sign to Mt Shark Helipad
- Drive to the helipad, unload your gear and return your car to the parking lot. There is no parking allowed at the helipad.
Allow approximately 1.5-2 hours of driving time from Canmore
- Leaving Canmore follow #1 TransCanada Highway East and exit on Highway #40 (Kananaskis Trail).
- Turn right and head south on Highway 40 passing Nakiska Ski Hill, Kananaskis Golf Course and Fortress Mountain Ski Hill.
- Turn right (west) at the Smith-Dorrien Spray Trail turnoff (#742). Turn right again and follow the Smith-Dorrien Spray Trail for 30 km.
- Turn left on Mt Shark Road and drive past the sign for Engadine Lodge and over the bridge.
- Continue down a winding road for 2.5 km and turn left following the sign to Mt. Shark Helipad and parking lot.
WHAT TO BRING
Maximum baggage weight per guest 15 KG.
Maximum baggage weight per guest 17 KG
One pair of skis or snowshoe per guest.
Excess baggage fee: $4.00 per KG
HOW TO PACK FOR THE HELICOPTER
- Carry your prescription medication on your person.
- Space is limited. Gear must be limited to essentials.
- Gear above the luggage restrictions will incur the excess baggage fee.
- More than one bag is allowed provided the bags meet the weight limits.
- Backpacks and small duffel bags are best. Please, no suitcases and backpacks with external frames.
- Anything attached to your bag may be removed in order to fit in the helicopter.
- Wear your warm clothes.
- Winter: Wear your ski boots and helmut.
- One pair of skis. Please do not bring ski bags.
- A second pair of skis may be flown in for $50 round-trip, if space is available.
- Do not bring bear spray. Bear spray will be provided at the lodge.
- Working dogs only allowed on the helicopter.
- We reserve the right to refuse oversize bags/items and extra skis due to space restrictions
HELICOPTER DO’S AND DONT’S
No wheelies and hard sided suitcases. We love small duffels and day packs. Fly on the helicopter with your prescriptions on your person.
No dingle dongels hanging off your pack. Wear your ski helmut and let the loader know if you have an avalanche pack.
Wine and beer is available for purchase at the lodge. Should you want to bring libations (other than wine and beer), please transfer to a plastic container.
- Be on time for check in. Move slowly and calmly around the helicopter.
- Your gear will be loaded and unloaded from the helicopter by Talus or Alpine Helicopter staff.
MANDATORY SAFETY VIDEO
Mount Shark Passengers must watch the mandatory safety video below. Canmore Passengers must watch the video at the Canmore Municipal Heliport.