THE WINTER GEAR LIST
Drop us a line if you there are items missing or if you are unsure of something. We are happy to help. For gear rentals, we recommend booking ahead with Gear Up. Mention you are headed to Talus and receive 10% off.
- Backcountry touring skis, split snowboard, telemark skis, light touring skis or snowshoes. Make sure bindings are in working order.
- Ski or snowboard boots
- Climbing skins
- Collapsible avalanche shovel
- Collapsible avalanche probe
- Digital avalanche transceiver (smartphone with search app not acceptable)
- Repair kit (spare bindings, screws, spare bale or cable, spare basket, duct tape, pocket knife/leatherman, ski wax and scraper
- Daypack (35 -40 litre)
- Water bottle
- Tea thermos (optional)
- Goggles and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and lip protection
- Drones/UAV’s are not permitted at Talus.
- Base layer top
- Base layer bottoms (long underwear/tights)
- Ski pants
- Waterproof and breathable jacket
- Soft shell jacket
- Thin wind shirt or jacket
- Fleece jacket
- Down or insulated jacket
- Ski socks
- Warm hat
- Baseball cap with neck coverage
- Thin touring gloves
- Blister and foot care kit
LODGE AND PERSONAL ITEMS
- Wine and beer for sale at the lodge and payment via credit card on your booking file.
- Please do not bring your own beverages as we have weight restrictions on the helicopter.
- Comfortable lodge clothing
- Slippers or indoor lodge shoes
- Talus provides a range sizing of winter boots in adult sizing.
- Bring your own winter boots if you are a child or have extremely large feet.
- Personal toiletries. Talus Lodge provides Rocky Mountain Soap Company products (Shampoo, Conditioner and Body wash).
- Camera and battery charger
- Extra batteries
- Lunch bag/container
- A good read
Maximum baggage weight per guest 15 KG
One pair of skis or snowshoe per guest.
Excess baggage fee: $4.00 per KG
HOW TO PACK FOR THE HELICOPTER
- Carry your prescription medication on your person.
- Space is limited. Gear must be limited to essentials.
- Gear above the luggage restrictions will incur the excess baggage fee.
- More than one bag is allowed provided the bags meet the weight limits.
- Backpacks and small duffel bags are best. Please, no suitcases and backpacks with external frames.
- Anything attached to your bag may be removed in order to fit in the helicopter.
- One pair of skis is allowed. Please do not bring ski bags.
- A second pair of skis may be flown in for $50 round-trip, if space is available.
- Wear your bulky clothing and ski boots.
- We reserve the right to refuse oversize bags/items and extra skis due to space restrictions.
- Dogs are not allowed in the helicopter.
- Be on time for check in. Move slowly and calmly around the helicopter.
- Your gear will be loaded and unloaded from the helicopter by Talus or Alpine Helicopter staff.
HELICOPTER DO’S AND DONT’S
No wheelies and hard sided suitcases. We love small duffels and day packs. Fly on the helicopter with your prescriptions on your person.
No dingle dongels hanging off your pack. Please give bear spray to Talus staff.